No one wants to find out they have mold in their home, it’s never good news, and yes, it is a big deal. Mold spores, especially black mold, can be very detrimental your health. If you have mold growing in your walls or flooring, spores can become air borne and find their way into your lungs.
A variety of health issues can be cause from breathing in mold and it can be very dangerous for those with pre-existing conditions, like asthma. This is of particular concern for risk groups like infants, seniors and pregnant women.
What to do?
If you discover mold in your home, you have to have it removed. This is typically done by a professional mold removal business. They will remove any materials that have been ruined by the mold, which may include drywall, flooring and anything that has become rotted (wood beams), and then they will scrub the affected surfaces to disinfect the area. You will then need to replace anything that has been removed.
How’d it happen?
Mold is a result of moisture getting into your home. This can happen if you have a damaged vapor barrier, which helps protect the inside of your home from the outside elements. It can also be the result of a leak in your foundation or roofing, or can occur in a bathroom that is not properly ventilated or sealed. It’s not uncommon to find mold behind shower walls, or in the wood trim. Other common places may be attics and basements. If you have a serious leak in your roof, mold can travel right into the common and private living spaces of the home. Wherever the water from the leak goes, mold can grow.
This is a major reason why thorough home inspections are important before purchasing a property.